Monday, January 5, 2009

Pretty Nice Little Saturday

Dom and I were interested in checking out the Masaai Market, which is an open air market in Nairobi where many different people sell handmade crafts such as pictures, carvings, bowls, jewelery, etc. The trick to the market is knowing that they will try and charge you the muzungu (white person) price, which involves them atleast quadrupling the value of the item!!! Well Dom and I went ready and willing to bargain ... but what we weren't prepared for was the entourage of men, led by Alex, that were going to "help" us with our shopping and bargain with us at the end of our shopping as to what we should buy and for how much!!!

Well ... we had a lot of fun shopping around, and Alex and his posse carried our "maybes" for us until it was time to leave. At the end they sat us down and tried to bargain with us how much we should pay. Though we understood that they were getting a cut of whatever was sold, we weren't going to pay more than we thought we should!! For the things I ended up purchasing that day Alex initially offered 38,000 Ksh (about $500 USD) ... but I bargained him down to 2500 Ksh (about $40)... so I thought I did pretty well!!!

After our bargaining, Alex and his friends then inquired into our relationship status' and offered to be our Kenyan boyfriends while we are here. After we politely refused their kind offer, we gathered our purchases and headed back home for the day!!! What an experience it was ... I think I now know what it's like to be a celebrity with a posse of people following you, and everyone wanting your attention!! I don't think that life was ever meant for me!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment