This is just a quick update to let you know that Dom and I are truly having the greatest of times. We have learned how to bead like experts thanks to the lovely ladies of the project, they even told us that we were going "too fast", as if that's possible when this is one of their greatest sources of income!!! For those of you that know me, crafts have never been my forte ... so I'm pretty damn proud of myself!!
We also have gotten to spend some time with the little kids, they even sang us "Baa baa black sheep", it might have been the cutest things I've ever seen as the kids don't so much sing as they yell ... made me think of what James must have been like in pre-school!! The leader of the project, Sophia, also has us helping with the administrative side of the school. As you can see in the picture, Dom and I spent a good part of our day "bookkeeping" for them. Though neither of us have any formal training in this, and the methods they follow make absolutely no sense whatsoever, we are happy to help them out if it means relieving some of their burden. We just do as we are told (mom, you'd be proud)!
We also spent Friday afternoon at the Giraffe Center in Karen (a town here) which is a place that breeds giraffes to be sent back out into the wild once they have reached the age of 2 years. They even let you feed the giraffes and get "giraffe kisses" from them, which involves them essentially licking your face ... haha yucky eh, but apparently word on the street has it that giraffe saliva is a natural antiseptic, so I guess I have to look at it as them cleaning my face?!
Dom and I had a generally relaxing weekend. We spent Saturday at, what I hope was, our last time attempting Masaai Market in town. Though it's a really fun place to look around, and its amazing what these people can create with simple tools and their bare hands ... you start to get tired of people constantly bugging you to buy their stuff instead of letting you look at your own pace. That ... and if I keep going I will have no money by the time I come home ... but don't worry people, it's not all for me :) Annnd we are supporting the local economy, so it's justifiable right?
So apparently I've rambled on long enough, so much for my quick post, but the true point of this post was/is just to thank everyone for the donations and the well wishes they have so kindly bestowed upon me. The money I have been given from everyone has allowed us to provide the school with much needed toys and school supplies so the kids can learn and develop through sharing and playing together. The money has also allowed us to purchase the supplies necessary for our women to make their jewelry so that they can continue to feed themselves, as ARV's only work on a full stomach, and we want them to live long healthy lives. Finally ... the money has allowed me to experience all of this and hopefully help out in any way I can. Without it, I couldn't be here sharing all this with you guys, and for that I sincerely thank you :)
That picture of you getting the 'giraffe kiss' is priceless. How did you entice this lovely young man into licking your face?
ReplyDeleteYour nickname is no longer Chow - it is henceforth: Giraffe spit - or G spit for short. Glad to see your having such a good time, we're on snowstorm #3 since you've been gone.
ReplyDelete